A griefers guide to avoiding grief

Mar 18, 19 15:29

Demon1x

User

Dislikes: 0
Donated: 1160

So I'm starting this on a whim, and since I have only have bits and pieces of free time i will be updating and adding to this for a little while.

That being said, welcome!

For those who dont know me I'm Demon1x. I've spent the past, idk, 7 years? Playing SV on and off and theres one particular thing I've become known for. Yes... I'm a griefer. I wanted to make this guide to share some common and not so common knowledge about that particular occupation on our lovely survival server. Much of the info in here will likely be old hat to the veterans but I think even they may find at least some useful information in this guide. I will try to keep this organized but because of the time constraints mentioned above and because I'm typically a bit scatterbrained it may be slightly disheveled but I promise theres good information herein.

1st topic and by and large the most important, nether portals. Hereafter referred to as just portals.

1. Never have a roof portal up.

It's pretty common to use the roof for travel but its also one of the major ways I find bases. I've spent countless hours running and flying on the roof with no particular direction, just searching for portals. Most of them, lead nowhere or at least nowhere discernable. Even so about 1/10 will lead directly or within close proximity to a base. My recommendation is when you need to use a roof portal make it at least 1 or 2k(N) away from your actual destination. When I check out a portal I'm not going to travel much further than a few K(ow) searching around. So if your base is 12k from the portal exit, it's relatively safe. Now granted if I see signs of people being there I'm going to look a little further. Even something as mundane as a few torches will spur on the search. Final recommendation is never keep a portal on the roof. Set one up when you need it and destroy it as soon as you can.

2. Never have a portal inside, or within 2k of your base.

I've found so so so many bases this way. Ok you dont have a roof portal but you still have a portal in your base so you can easily access your blaze farm. Many times when I was just about to give up on a search I would randomly make a portal and bam it links to your nether farm, in turn leading to the OW base. By keeping OW and nether bases separate by a fair margin you hedge your bets of losing both. Yeah I know flying 5k whenever you want to run to the nether isnt Ideal, it is however the most safe. By separating them you will only lose one if its discovered instead of both. Its magnitudes more difficult to locate a base if there is no portal present.

3. Building in the nether.

This point isnt a major one but factors in with a lot of the above. When building in the nether try to make the overall footprint small. Not just the footprint of whatever you build, but anything you do. Leaving a torch trail, a cobblestone path, all things that indicate someone has been here are clues to griefers that there is activity nearby. I've traced a lot of 1x1 bridges or torch paths back to a base. While this isnt as common, its definitely something to be conscious of. Since the nether is 8 times smaller than the ow finding builds is also 8 times easier when considering distance traveled to find something. Long 1x2 tunnels dug just below bedrock are a huge problem since I'll often follow them out in both directions to see if they lead to any bases or portals. May make traveling easier, but that also makes my job much easier as well. 

2nd topic, distance from spawn.

1. Most players know this but for any new new players, dont build inside of 5k on either axis of spawn. This is known as the random teleport(rtp) area. Any newbie can instantly port inside of 5k/5k by using the ports at spawn. Now when you are just starting out making a temporary base is a good idea but if you are going to be there for longer than a few hours I suggest going out to at least 10k on one axis to avoid surprise visitors. Even then, dont stay at that base for longer than a week and build underground with no visible entrance, hide the entrance behind dirt. 

2. When seeking to make a more permanent base use the nether roof (bring obsidian and flint and steel) theres no right answer to how far is best since some people dont like to run for hours on the roof. In general, anything past 50k is where 'safe' begins. Typically the further you go the more difficult locating the base will be. I've had bases 30k from spawn that were never found.

3. Just a note on the distance thing, it's a lot about personal preference. I know people have made bases 8k out and it's never been found. I've even heard, tho I doubt, that people have made safe bases within RTP range. Nothing stopping you from doing this, but it's extremely high risk, especially so for a visible(above ground) base.

3rd topic xrayers and hackers.

While the staff here do an absolutely amazing job at finding and banning these people, its impossible to discount it as a factor since it exists. I know this may be a galvanizing section given the illegality of it but ignoring the issue is risking grief. Cheaters are a huge reason why the RTP zone is unsafe. From my experiences as an admin most cheaters dont make it out of this zone but they are still capable of causing damage. Your base at 4k from spawn may have no visible entrances but these people will see it none the less. I wont say much more on this topic as outside of building close to spawn, it's a non-factor.

4th and last topic, player trust

It's a story as old as time, some new player joins and immediately asks if anyone will let them join their base. The veterans laugh, the trolls send them fake coordinates. However some trusting or ignorant people may feel some empathy and decide to take in a new player. I believe this to be an error. While I've only very seldomly used this tactic as I dislike buying new alts and it seems a little bit mean, even for me. Best bet if you want to make friends is chat with them for a while. Most people seeking grief wont put a ton of effort into befriending someone they ultimately plan to betray. If you really want to make friends I suggest starting a new base with that person as opposed to letting them join your base. They will be much less inclined to grief something they helped create. 

I hope this advice helps, feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to reply and elaborate if needed.

Cheers,

Demon

Mar 18, 19 15:29

Demon1x

User

Reserved

Mar 18, 19 22:12

gingerrrrrr

User

Donated: 0

Or, alternately,

Step 1. Don't grief.

Mar 19, 19 12:07

Melenda

User

Dislikes: 4
Donated: 40

Better to get griefed by demon soon after making your base than being griefed 10 months in by someone you might never find out the identity of. Good tips.

Mar 22, 19 14:24

Valisbourne

User

Donated: 25

Meh, griefer = jerk.

Might be a polite or nice person to chat with, but still a jerk (griefer = someone who does something for no other reason than causing someone 'grief').

There are waay to many jerks out there, especially if they know someone isn't going to show up on their front door and beat them black and blue.

The tips were fairly good.  I follow alot of them and never really codified my thought process on the topic.

Mar 27, 19 12:22

Demon1x

User

Technically you are wrong. I dont do this simply to cause grief. I enjoy doing it, tnt'ing a build is fun! Also the raiding aspect of it can be very profitable. Lastly I like being part of a story. A griefed base has a lot of history and the destruction is simply another chapter of the adventure.

I typically dont feel bad for griefing since, one it's a game. Two, we all accept the rules and guidelines to play on this wonderful server. It's even one of the 3 spawn questions. I dont like when someone owns me in hearthstone but it doesnt make them a jerk for doing so.

Plenty of non griefing servers out there if it's a dealbreaker to some. All obviously far inferior to Strictly Vanilla

Apr 04, 19 5:18

Big Black Block

User

Donated: 0

Mister Demon how do I become rank 1 legend in Hearthstone? Please, I need this information.

Sep 02, 19 18:06

JealousManPuppets

User

Dislikes: 1
Donated: 50

I'd like to add: If your base gets griefed, Do not repair it. Move away with whatever's left ASAP, Griefers often save coords, so Staying in a base will just result in being griefed more

You need to be logged in to make a reply

Version: 1.0.2

Created by DelviewHosts
Strictly Vanilla © 2019