Server Performance Optimization ???

Oct 25, 19 23:41

Inov8er

User

Dislikes: 0
Donated: 0

I'll be as brief as I can. I've certainly enjoyed the past year on the survival server and would really like to ask a couple of questions and suggest some things. This is just my experience over the year. 

--- Mainly Server Performance Issues ---

#1 - Serverside render distance

#2 - Block lag gets real sometimes

#3 - Overload Server Crashes

#4 - Rubber Banding (lag jumping), gets dangerous near lava. 

------------------------------------------------

Again, I thoroughly enjoy playing on the server and these are just suggestions/issues that can be discouraging at times. I'm not suggesting to modify the gameplay of strictly vanilla survival but mainly the performance and memory.

Thanks, ~Inov8er~

Oct 26, 19 14:11

MakThePenguin

User

You didn't actually suggest anything. You stated known issues but didn't make any suggestions for how to fix them.

Oct 26, 19 20:37

Inov8er

User

My apologies. I didnt completely focalize the last part of the list. I wasnt meaning to suggest a fix but to analyze the issues that they may be fixed. My suggestion is to have something running to better utilize memory on the survival server. The more people that join the server the more lag and rubberbanding occurs. Its Nothing to do with gameplay modification at all, just performance side only. What I mean is 100% vanilla no plugins, other than the performance of the server and that's it. What do you think? Better inform me I'm open.

Nov 04, 19 10:35

LordBaconite

User

Dislikes: 5
Donated: 10

Thanks for the feedback! unfortunately, all these issues aren't related to system memory, Our massive server has more ram than is actually used. The issues lie in Minecraft's core coding. It wasn't meant for more than 5 people. Minecraft is coded for single-threaded use, Meaning even if you have some beefy billion dolor million core CPU. you can only ever use one core. putting a hard cap on server performance. Some mods optimise the game more for this single-threaded experience, I'm sure some that get multi-threading, but we are dedicated to pure vanilla, that means no mods, not even for the sake of performance. When looking at our server status we very rarely ever run out of ram, but are always at the ceiling of our CPU due to the single-threaded nature of Minecraft. Ask Mojang to support multithreading in vanilla Minecraft and you will see all these issues disappear

Nov 06, 19 0:05

Biffilobull

User

Dislikes: 3

Thanks for the feedback! unfortunately, all these issues aren't related to system memory, Our massive server has more ram than is actually used. The issues lie in Minecraft's core coding. It wasn't meant for more than 5 people. Minecraft is coded for single-threaded use, Meaning even if you have some beefy billion dolor million core CPU. you can only ever use one core. putting a hard cap on server performance. Some mods optimise the game more for this single-threaded experience, I'm sure some that get multi-threading, but we are dedicated to pure vanilla, that means no mods, not even for the sake of performance. When looking at our server status we very rarely ever run out of ram, but are always at the ceiling of our CPU due to the single-threaded nature of Minecraft. Ask Mojang to support multithreading in vanilla Minecraft and you will see all these issues disappear

This is why the concept of "strictly vanilla" doesnt work anymore. If you want to play a server with more than 5 people on, chose a server with plugins/mods. Anti-lag related ones, etc. It has gotten worse and worse and will probably continue to get worse. There is a reason why "vanilla" servers are dying out. Most of them are unplayable. 100 % pure vanilla worked 3 years ago. Not anymore. It's like operating NASA's head quarters on a can of ravioli. Sure, keep your "pure" vanilla server with trash performance and only max 8 players on at a time, hoping it won't die out thanks to that one admin paying all of your monthly expenses. Doesn't make sense to me. Times change, so should you, or RIP strictly vanilla. Only seems like that one admin keeps it alive anyway. If it wasn't for him, it would be dead already. You guys have more staff than players active at this point.

Nov 06, 19 9:32

LordBaconite

User

Dislikes: 5
Donated: 10

Well, my friend that's the glory of the free market. If our service doesn't meet what you seak, there are several other offerings out there. What we offer is what we like, there are no hard feelings if our choice doesn't match your needs. If you value performance over vanilla, then go to a server that matches that.

Nov 06, 19 9:52

Biffilobull

User

Well, my friend that's the glory of the free market. If our service doesn't meet what you seak, there are several other offerings out there. What we offer is what we like, there are no hard feelings if our choice doesn't match your needs. If you value performance over vanilla, then go to a server that matches that.

Lol.

Nov 07, 19 8:46

_MrTortoise_

User

Dislikes: 1
Donated: 20

More ACTIVE staff than players? Do you have any idea what are you talking about? There is never more than like, 2-3 stuff members online all at once.

Nov 07, 19 10:04

Biffilobull

User

More ACTIVE staff than players? Do you have any idea what are you talking about? There is never more than like, 2-3 stuff members online all at once.

You have more staff than returning players that hasn't left the server

Nov 08, 19 19:54

Inov8er

User

Some mods optimise the game more for this single-threaded experience, I'm sure some that get multi-threading, but we are dedicated to pure vanilla, that means no mods, not even for the sake of performance.

I like playing on the server because its clean and family friendly and you cant really find that anywhere else. But my concern is that youd be willing to sacrifice performance, reputation, and dedicated players of the server for just being "Strictly Vanilla". I'm not saying to change. I'm saying that you can still be "Strictly Vanilla" with only the exception of performance. Nothing at all to do with altering the vanilla gameplay. Do you see what im saying? If not I understand, but I would like to see it the server grow.

You need to be logged in to make a reply

Version: 1.0.2

Created by DelviewHosts
Strictly Vanilla © 2019